Factors that Affect Health and Life Insurance Coverage
Data drives the insurance industry. How an insurance company balances their exposure to risk with the premiums they collect determines if they ultimately survive. When applying for health or life insurance coverage, the questions asked are used to develop a suitable premium.
While premium formulas are proprietary to each insurance company, most use the same underlying statistics to underwrite their policies. Understanding what characteristics are considered in your application may help you find companies to best meet your financial needs.
Here is a general list of factors that affect health and life insurance coverage:
Age – As we grow older, our remaining life expectancy diminishes, increasing the cost of life insurance. Additionally, more ailments requiring medical treatment arise as we age, impacting health insurance costs.
Gender – Females statistically live 5 years longer than men, resulting in lower life insurance premiums. However, health insurance premiums may be higher if a woman opts to include coverage for pregnancy.
Hobbies – Most hobbies like golf, reading, or exercising are no issue for insurance companies. However, if you pursue more dangerous activities such as skydiving, spelunking, or scuba diving, expect some insurance companies to add specific activity exclusions to your policy or charge an increased premium for coverage.
Occupation – Certain occupations pose an increased risk to insurance companies. If your occupation includes an element of danger, expect insurers to either increase your premiums or include specific exclusions within your policy.
Tobacco Use – Smokeless or not, tobacco in any form is known to increase rates of cancer, heart disease, and other health issues. Insurance companies have significant data to support their substantial increased premiums for tobacco users.
Marital Status – While your marital status has a limited impact on actuarial rates, the ability to share limits of insurance, deductibles, or copays can make certain health plans more attractive than those offered to single individuals.
Driving Record – Some insurance companies will factor in an applicant’s driving history before determining insurability. Drivers with a history of DUI or reckless driving convictions are undesirable and may result in difficulty in obtaining desired coverage.
Underlying Health – When applying for health or life insurance, insurers will want to see a snapshot of your current overall health. While preexisting conditions may not prevent you from obtaining coverage, they could impact your premium or the benefits available to you.
Alcohol Consumption – The excessive consumption of alcohol can play havoc with the body’s most important organs. Insurance companies who learn about applicants imbibing higher than acceptable limits of alcohol can surcharge premiums or decline coverage altogether.
Body mass index (BMI) – The ratio between someone’s height and weight determines their body mass index. Health issues, such as diabetes and cardiovascular problems, are more prevalent in individuals with a high BMI. This can result in higher insurance premiums.
Family Medical History – Your family genes may make you more susceptible to certain chronic disorders such as heart disease, high blood pressure, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, arthritis, cancer, and obesity. Insurance companies may factor in your family’s medical past when rating your insurance coverage.
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- Reduce Stress: Develop Patience
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- Best foods for hydration
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Smart Home Systems: Promoting a Comfortable Environment for Seniors
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff (Copy)
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn't Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs In Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- How Valuable Is Cash Value Life Insurance?
- Mistakes You can Make When Exercising at Home
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Will My Life Insurance Policy Cover Me If Something Happens While Traveling?
- I’ve Been Denied a Life Insurance Policy. Now What?
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Getting Fit Before the Medical Exam
- The Basics of Insurance APIs
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- How to Stay Hydrated During the Summer Season
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- What You Don’t Know About Senior Fitness
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Sleep Care is the New Self-Care
- Tips for Making Dinnertime Special
- 7 Ways to Improve the Quality of Life of Seniors You Care About
- Ways to Get the Best Health Care
- Adapt Your Home for Safe Mobility
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Best Nutrition Apps
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- Factors that Affect Health and Life Insurance Coverage
- Thanksgiving: 4 Contactless Ways to Give Back
- Carbon Monoxide Concerns in the Home
- How to Save on Electricity for Free
- Why You Should be Grateful for the Year 2020
- Whole or Term Life Insurance
- Does a Stay-at-Home Spouse Need Life Insurance?
- Preventing Heart Health Issues
- Life Insurance for Your Newlywed Child
- Exercises for a Sedentary Lifestyle
- Post Pandemic Travel Tips
- Remote Activities You Can Do with Your Grandkids
- Benefits of Grateful Living
- Power Foods that Lift the Spirit
- How to Live Without Regrets