Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
Humans are living longer. Life expectancy reached nearly 79 years old in 2014. This represents a 13% increase from 1959, when US citizens were expected to live 69.9 years. The health supplement industry is capitalizing on this trend by offering pills and products promising increased brain health.
But do brain food supplements really work?
More Research is Needed
The most significant issue pertaining to over-the-counter supplements is the lack of regulation. Unlike food and beverages, which require intense scrutiny by the Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA), supplements are not subjected to such oversight.
As a result, claims about a supplement’s effectiveness are driven by the company’s research. While many supplement companies may utilize independent, third-party testing organizations, it is still up to the individual businesses to determine which research to rely on. This is not only for their products’ effectiveness but, more importantly, for their marketing efforts.
Nutrients are Complex
There is a strong consensus that our bodies and brains benefit from certain nutrients. Some of the most helpful ingredients include:
Omega-3 Fatty Acids – Found in shellfish, fatty fish, and certain plant sources, these fatty acids promote heart health; but scientists are unsure about their impact on the brain.
B Vitamins – Evidence has yet to be found supporting the link between B6, B9, and B12 and improved cognition.
Vitamin E – There is evidence vitamin E can slow the rate of brain functionality in dementia patients, but none to support the prevention of brain deterioration.
Ginko Biloba – Used for thousands of years, this herb is a popular health supplement. However, research has shown that it is no more effective than a placebo.
The challenge with health supplements is that we aren’t entirely sure how they work. According to Maxine Smith, RDN, LD, there are more than 25,000 bioactive substances in food. So we don’t know if vitamins are effective by themselves.
Staying Brain Healthy
Unfortunately, for all the promises out there, there isn’t a single pill that will improve our brain’s functionality. Yet, there is a consensus on ways to minimize the impact of aging on our brain. Maintaining a lifestyle rich in physical exercise, a healthy diet, good sleep, and regular mentally challenging activities will help keep us feeling and thinking young.
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- Reduce Stress: Develop Patience
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- Best foods for hydration
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Smart Home Systems: Promoting a Comfortable Environment for Seniors
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff (Copy)
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn't Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs In Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- How Valuable Is Cash Value Life Insurance?
- Mistakes You can Make When Exercising at Home
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Will My Life Insurance Policy Cover Me If Something Happens While Traveling?
- I’ve Been Denied a Life Insurance Policy. Now What?
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Getting Fit Before the Medical Exam
- The Basics of Insurance APIs
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- How to Stay Hydrated During the Summer Season
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- What You Don’t Know About Senior Fitness
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Sleep Care is the New Self-Care
- Tips for Making Dinnertime Special
- 7 Ways to Improve the Quality of Life of Seniors You Care About
- Ways to Get the Best Health Care
- Adapt Your Home for Safe Mobility
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Best Nutrition Apps
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- Factors that Affect Health and Life Insurance Coverage
- Thanksgiving: 4 Contactless Ways to Give Back
- Carbon Monoxide Concerns in the Home
- How to Save on Electricity for Free
- Why You Should be Grateful for the Year 2020
- Whole or Term Life Insurance
- Does a Stay-at-Home Spouse Need Life Insurance?
- Preventing Heart Health Issues
- Life Insurance for Your Newlywed Child
- Exercises for a Sedentary Lifestyle
- Post Pandemic Travel Tips
- Remote Activities You Can Do with Your Grandkids
- Benefits of Grateful Living
- Power Foods that Lift the Spirit
- How to Live Without Regrets